Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada (UCBC)
Edmonton Eparchy | St. Josaphat Branch
The aim of the Brotherhood is centered on the Ukrainian Catholic faith, strengthening it by supporting, enriching and developing the religious and spiritual life of the parish.
We meet: The third Monday of every month in the Cathedral Auditorium
The St. Josaphat Branch of the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada has actively pursued its objective of faithful service for more than 60 years. This committed group of parishioners sponsors and supports parish functions such as the Family Day brunch and Pushchenia. The Brotherhood also assumes various duties in the parish and community on a regular basis. Some of these duties include:
- Ushering at Divine Liturgies and special events
- Collecting Sunday offerings
- Visiting the ill
- Fundraising and giving donations to various spiritual, cultural and social causes
- Assisting in the operation of the Ukrainian Pavilion at Heritage Days.
Members have traditionally looked after gathering pussy willows for Palm Sunday and honoring the women of the parish with a special cross and long stem carnations on Mother’s Day. Recently the Brotherhood initiated a program to acknowledge the graduates of the Ukrainian Bilingual Program at Austin O’Brien High School. The club’s many activities and projects provide an excellent opportunity for fellowship among the Men’s Club’s members, their spouses, and parishioners as a whole. The main objective or principals of the work of the Brotherhood became:
- Catholic religion: to further Catholic religion in the Byzantine rite, together with the priests to organize parishes and build churches, support church institutions, clubs, organizations, etc.
- Ukrainian culture: organize and support Ukrainian schools, further the knowledge of the Ukrainian language, literature and music and all forms of art, further and support the Ukrainian Catholic press.
- Canadian citizenship: become familiar with Canada, be its faithful and loyal citizens, strengthen spiritual growth and moral values of the Canadian life.
- Social work: organize orphanages, old age homes, hospitals, summer camps, educational centers for youth, sports competitions; all this in the spirit of Christian justice and love.
Interested in learning more or joining?