Imitating the prophets Moses and Elijah, following in the steps of Jesus, we take the forty days of the Great Fast (Great Lent) seriously. We change our style of life. Each person chooses a way to observe the Great Fast in his own way and according to his abilities.
Sunday, February 23 | 7:00 PM
With this service, the Great Fast officially begins.
LENTEN SIXTH HOUR
Monday-Friday | 7:30 AM
Due to its festive nature, the Divine Liturgy is not celebrated on weekdays during the Great Fast. At St. Josaphat Cathedral, Monday to Friday at 7:30 am, we pray the Lenten Sixth Hour, with three readings from the Old Testament (Genesis/Exodus, Proverbs, Isaiah). At the conclusion of the service – distribution of Holy Communion.
Wednesdays (English) | 5:30 PM
Fridays (Ukrainian) | 7:00 PM
Fridays (Ukrainian) | 8:15 PM
WAY OF THE CROSS
Wednesdays (Ukrainian) | 7:00 PM
Fridays (English) | 5:30 PM
SATURDAYS OF LENT
Lenten Matins | 7:00 AM
Divine Liturgy for the Departed | 9:00 AM
SUNDAYS OF LENT
Great Vespers (Saturday) | 4:00 PM
Divine Liturgy (Saturday) | 5:00 PM
Great Matins | 7:30 AM
Rosary Prayer | 9:00 AM
Divine Liturgy (English) | 9:30 AM
Divine Liturgy (Ukrainian) | 11:00 AM
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE GREAT FAST
- Pray the Prayer of St. Ephrem daily (with prostrations).
- Pray a daily Holy Hour (preferably in the morning).
- Read Holy Scripture.
- Learn to pray the Jesus Prayer or the Rosary or an Akathist.
- Read a good spiritual book.
- Attend Presanctified Liturgy.
- Attend Vespers or Matins.
- Pray for the Departed.
- Make a nightly examen.
- Make a good confession.
- Abstain from desserts & sweets.
- Abstain from meat and meat products on Wednesdays & Fridays.
- On Wednesdays and Fridays, eat one full meal, and two smaller meal that together are not equal to the full meal.
- Abstain from alcohol.
- Abstain from soda drinks (pop).
- Abstain from eating between meals.
- Only listen to music that lifts the soul to God.
- Abstain from video games.
- Abstain from television & movies.
- Only use the computer for work, school or essential tasks.
- Use mobile devices on for essential communications.
- Get a full night’s sleep; wake up early!
- Strive daily to make at least one act of love, mercy or kindness towards another person (a kind word of affirmation, an act of service, the gift of quality time, a personal gift, a hug).
- Give thanks for everything; avoid grumbling, criticising and complaining.
- Stop arguing or giving others a hard time.
- Be generous with your time, talents and possessions.
- Work on forgiveness, let go of resentments.
- Bless those who persecute you.
- Be joyful!
PRAYER OF SAINT EPHREM
To be recited daily during the Great Fast.
(Please… cut me out and paste on your refrigerator, mirror, computer, kitchen window, night table, car dash, icon corner; or use me as a bookmarker!)
O Lord and Master of my life! Drive from me the spirit of indifference and discouragement, lust for power, and idle chatter. (Prostration)
Instead, grant to me, Your servant, the spirit of integrity, humility, patience, and love. (Prostration)
Yes, O Lord and King! Let me see my own sins and not to judge my brothers and sisters; for You are blessed, for ever and ever. Amen. (Prostration)
+God, be merciful to me a sinner! +God, cleanse me of my sins and have mercy on me! +I have sinned without number, forgive me, O Lord! (4 times)
O Lord and Master of my life! Drive from me the spirit of indifference and discouragement, lust for power, and idle chatter. Instead, grant to me, Your servant, the spirit of integrity, humility, patience, and love. Yes, O Lord and King! Let me see my own sins and not to judge my brothers and sisters; for You are blessed, for ever and ever. Amen. (Prostration)